HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DIY Elk Hunt?
Thread: DIY Elk Hunt?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 10:34 AM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

apply everywhere! that's my theory/game plan.

if you have low or no pts, certain states don't have point systems, and that means you can draw the 1st year you apply.

Some advice I'd offer is go sooner than later! If you wait to get in shape and plan a hunt, you'll never go elk hunting.

The first year I began applying out west for tags I drew a quality elk tag in NM, I hadn't planned on hunting elk that fall, I wasn't in great shape, didn't have a ton of cash on hand, but I certainly wasn't going to waste the tag and not hunt. I got in decent shape, found the cash to make the hunt happen, and it certainly gave me more confidence to do another elk hunt.

So by all means get your friends together, plan a hunt, and go do it! but don't be afraid to put in for tags w/o your friends and when you draw an awesome tag somewhere, go hunt!

You and your friends may want to buy a pref.point in WY right now...which I think would almost guarantee you a general tag in wy next year, and at worse the year after. Or you guys can save up points for a limited area and go on your 2nd/3rd elk hunt sooner than later.

NM doesn't have a point system, so anyone can draw any tag any year, though because of this it's still low odds as lots of guys apply, though a guy can draw a great unit his 1st year applying over a guy who has applied for 20yrs, whereas in other states, the guy with 20yrs is going to draw that tag and you don't have a chance at it.

ID- has OTC archery tags I believe and some great elk hunting.
MT- is changing things, but good odds at drawing general tags, then you must draw a limited entry archery tag which usually has pretty good odds, though things are changing.
CO-also has OTC tags etc..., though NM, ID, MT, have bigger elk IMO, though CO certainly has a ton of them!