HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What do you do when scouting?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

In general, I do not scout "known" areas this early. I go to the areas I have not been in at all or have not been into much at all. I tend to hunt the same 300-500 acres of the 3100 I have access to. This year I also plan to be hunting about 900 acres that I have been on only one time each, and not as a hunter. These areas I will visit as many times as I can work in. What I look for now are rubs from pervious year(s), what appear to be "traditional" trails, the lay of the topography (creeks, ridges, flats, etc.), ridge areas that have a good number of mature oak trees (especially those that have "old" caps under them), forbs areas esecially noting those that are being nipped now, and probable stand locations. I may set up a camera or two if the traffic seems to warrent a look see. I try to picture the route deer might be taking from what appears to me to be bedding areas to feeding areas. One of these is a 600 acre piece of a much larger swamp filled with cypress, tupelo gums , laarge acorn tree flats, etc. Scouting this area will be a challenge in central Alabama summer time heat!