HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - deer scouting tips
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 09:15 AM
shawnfogelman
Fork Horn

Mossbergman, first of all you need to evaluate the type of hunting you will be doing, Bow or Gun? Secondly you have to get a good Topo map of the property that you will be hunting. Public or private land will also be a factor as well. Here are some of the things that i look for when starting my pre-season scouting for the upcoming Bow season here in Ohio. Early season I always search out the food sources and watering holes. Try to identify the bedding areas and routes that they may be taking to and from these bedding spots. Which routes are they taking to their favorite food sources, then try to set up inbetween the bedding areas and food sources with an easy route for yourself to get in and get out without pushing the deer out of thier spots and without being detected. It may not always be an easy task coming and going without being busted a time or two but anything that you can do will help. This is the time that you want to get your trail camera put up and do some glassing from a far. early season will be your only hope of patterning a big buck if you see one while glassing or via your trail cam. Cause once the rut kicks in... well all bets off, you have a better shot at winning the lottery than patterning a buck. All hell will break loose and just when you think you know most of the bucks in the area, BAM! 2 or 3 more bucks will come traveling thru that you may never have seen before. Hope this helps