HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .270WSM round for whitetails
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Switchback_XT
Fork Horn

I used to use a .270 winchester (non WSM) for deer shooting 130 grains of balistic tip bullets. I was so un happy with the performance I sold the gun. The .270 was expanding fully in the skin (entrance side) and did its damage to the entrance side of the 1 st lung. It did nothing but poke a small hole through the hart and 2nd lung before the subsequent exit wound.
I never tried prem bullets on any deer because of the expence but maybe some controled expantion bullets would work good enough for deer.
From that experience I have concluded that the .270 win. (and by extention, its cousin the .270 wsm) are varmit rounds. The top end heaviest you would want for cyote hunting or perhaps just right for antalope or cues deer. have hunted neither of the last 2 so its just my opinion.
Personally (if you are still looking for a gun) I would think it would be better to have a big enough bullet to do damage to both lungs with the reg. cheap bullets. Then I could buy the cheap ammo and do lots of hunting. Some will say "git a double duty round" but I say after resighting in for the other load you have wasted any savings not to mention the hassle. Just have 2 guns instead, that way you can have a calibure ideally suited to the intended targets. Smaller and easier on the shoulder rounds for the dumb cyotes and bigger rounds for a shure kill on the deer.

Thats my 2 cents on the subject.
Switchback XT