HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - broadhead tuning question
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 06:32 PM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pukeleeland
I've been shooting my new AlphaMax35, set at 70lbs, with fieldtips for the last month and today I tried broadheads for the first time. As expected, the broadheads did not group with the fieldtips but I haven't had problems tuning for broadheads before. The broadheads are shooting high (2") and to the right (6") at 30 yards, so I moved my rest away (left) from the bow a little. The broadheads are still shooting right (not quite so much) and the field tips are now shooting to the left. I can't keep moving the rest left because the field tips will be off the target soon. I did some measuring and calculatingand the FOC is 8%. I am shooting GoldTip 350 CAA's at 29 1/2" with a 100gr SlickTrick andthree 2-inch Blazer vanes. According to all the charts, there shouldn't be any problems. The Easton tuning guide said to move the rest left, decrease poundage, or lighten broadhead weight. Does anyone see anything strikingly wrong with the setup? I have been kicking around the idea of trying Rage expandables. Maybe this is a good time to try them.
Scrap what you're trying to do here. Those arrows should be almost PERFECT in your bow, I don't believe the problem is the arrows. Start at 20yds, zero your top pin at 20yds with a FP, then do a walkback tune, 20-25-30-35-40yds, follow what your rest is telling you needs done.... " \ " Rest need to move to the LEFT, " / " the rest needs to move to the right, get everything grouping like this " l ", then go back to 20, make sure your pin is zero'd, and start the BH tuning process. Check out this link.... http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=539460
It's probably the BEST step by step rundown I've seen to show someone how to BH tune.