HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sunday Bowhunting in PA?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 05:07 AM
4evrhtn
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sunday Bowhunting in PA?

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

I feel it was irresponsible to pass the introduction of a new weapon intoarchery when guys who rifle hunt will for the most part be the new Xbow hunter. How many are proficient at blood trailing when only ever having to do it 3 or so times in their gunhunting careers.
How many archers are proficient at blood trailing? Over the years I know of a lot more archers that have hit and lost a deer than rifle hunters and know a lot more rifle hunters than archers. The ability to make a killing shot is more important than the ability to track a deer because of an improperly laced shot.
You just made my point. Yes more deer are unrecovered in archery because nearly all deerneed to be blood trailed unlike when using a high powered rifle and rarely does the deer travel more than 60 yds. How many deer have you seen hit with an arrow and travel 200 yds when if hit there with a bullet would have only went a few feet? Shock and trauma is a much different method of bringing down game than hemorrhage is.But the ability and responsibility to track in my opinion is no less important than being an accurate shot.
I also feel it would be great to establish a proficiency qualification in order to purchase an archery license. I shoot all year round and always havebecause 1. I enjoy shooting and 2. I am always trying to become better.