HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer jerky
Thread: Deer jerky
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 08:53 PM
sandilands
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer jerky

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. I let mine sit for 3-4 days in the dry rub. Then I hit it wet. I use worstersauce, franks hot sauce and apple cider vinager to wet it up a bit. Mix up all the jerky so it gets to the moisture. Then let it sit for a few more daysin the fridge. Then its ready to smoke. Rack it up. Place on smoking racks so the meat fits tight on the rack. Smoke as heavy as you want. I'm lucky.... extremely lucky. A good budddy of mine owns a butcher shop and smokes alot of meat. I take it to the shop and rack itup.He smokes it and I go back in the am and pull it from the racks. Sorry no pics of this as I do it o my own. The shop owner is waaaay too busy to be takingpics. The meat shrinks, don't call the butcher out on the loss as I knowyou get about a 50-60%yield on jerky. The more it dries the more you lose in yield.
Out of themeat I smoked I got 5lbs of jerky back. I know that is on the high side for most. I smoke mine a little less than most people do. I then let it cool and place in paper bags in the fridge for a day or2 , to dry.When it reaches the consistancy i want I put in ziplocs and store. Now with that being said..... I'm going fishing this weekend with a bunch of my hunting buddies and my son. 5lbs might last 2 days. My son calls it MAN-Candy.... and it is. It goes so fast you hardly realize how much time goes into it until its gone. Then you realize.... I just spent 5-7 days of cutting and curing time to get 2 days of eating. Don't worry. You will do it again and be happy.