HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer jerky
Thread: Deer jerky
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 08:16 PM
sandilands
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer jerky

OK, so as schultzy asked for here it goes. My step by step on deer jerky. Sorry mods but I think alot of guys and gals will see it here and if it was posted in the camp cooking section it would have few views.
Its pretty easy. The actual; smoking part is the hard part to get just right. You don't want to over heat it.
All right for this batch I took 2 hips out With the muscle goups seperated.I take out the eye of round and the sirlouin tip. Thatleaves me2 inside round and 2 outside round.I take them out of the freezer and place them in a bowl in the fridge overnight. The next afternoon I get the old cutting board out and start slicing. I like to do it this way because the meat is still crystalized and is easier to make uniform cuts with. USE a very sharp knife. A deli slicer is ideal but I don't have one. I like 1/8" for my thickness but you may prefer something different. Try different thicknesses out and see what turns out for you.Make sure you trim the roasts up nice befor starting, you wanna remove as much silver skin and fat as you can if not already done.