HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - loads and sabots
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 10:15 AM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: loads and sabots

flybub

The Pro Hunter is new and it has maybe 25-30 shots fired through it.
I would definitely suggest - trying to polish the barrel with J-B's

This the compound I was talking about...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...ANING_COMPOUND

This is nothing like Bore Butter - BB is basically a lubricant.

Bullets...

Do not jump on anything i suggest here as we all have different thoughts about bullets. First off i am not a pointy bullet person - my shots average maybe 50 yards yet iwant to be able to shoot to 200 yard which is my personal max with a ML - others will shoot farther and others will shoot less.

I do prefer the .452 (45 cal) bullet to the .430 (44 cal) as it offeres me a lot more options in weights and sabots - (different sized sabots).

So my suggestion might look something like this...

If you are looking for what I call a premium bullet.. the dollor per shot variety then i would suggest a Nosler Partition .451/260 grain bullet for deer and deer clas animal.

I use a .458/300 grain Nosler Partition PP for elk.

Both of these have been very good for me. There are other high quality premium bullets on the market, even a brand new one that I intend to use this year, made by Lehigh Bullets in PA.

If i were going to buy a regular bullet of the shelf I would go after the Speer Gold Dot series of bullets. They are bonded and have controlled expansion much like a Nosler/Barnes but are much less expensive. Again, I would go with the .452/250 grain Gold Dot for deer and the .452/300 for larger animals - actually of course the 300 would do equally well for both. The 250 is easily shot to 175 yards and with the high BC of the 300 you could reach out and tag an animal at 200.

Just sharing some thoughts...