HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer hunters not allowed...elk hunters only!
Old 08-11-2003, 06:08 PM
davidmil
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Deer hunters not allowed...elk hunters only!

I' m a Deer hunter, and I' ve never hunted ELK. HA!!!!!!! I read your post anyway.
Me too.... BUT...

You don' t know enough about the area to make an intelligent decision yet. One, pick his brain a little more.... TWO, make another trip or two and observe from a safe place. THREE... scout a little more.

From MY elk readings and things... I doubt they' re bedding right beside the field except for periods of rest and chewing the cud during the night and early AM. The beds you' re seeing may be just that. I think they' ll head into the higher elevations and timber at first light. Find an alternate approach and get up above this place in the AM if you have to hunt. If you choose to not hunt the AM and chance busting them, set up on the place for the afternoon. Can you park your butt in the rock outcropping and shoot the wallows?

Any pressure can have an adverse effect... but I think you could chance some low profile snooping. Set up in the dark from afar and again late in the afternoon to see what' s happening. If it' s as private as you say you should beable to find THE SPOT. It doesn' t have to be a tree(and that' s from a tree hunter) Hunting from the ground would give you a chance to move on animals. You need to do some homework. The best answer is probably not going to come from us who haven' t seen it unless maybe you had a map.

P.S. In that country there are thousands of spots just like it. You have to be flexible.