HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Trophy Whitetail State? 170"+
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Teach Deer
Fork Horn

Default RE: Best Trophy Whitetail State? 170"+

The Kentucky state record typical was a 204+ inch 12 point taken in Pendleton County (north central)...I believe the state record non-typical was taken in Lewis County (north eastern)...the most deer harvested in Kentucky is in Owen County (north central).

I have seen a 200+ inch typical 12 pointandjust missed a 160+ inch typical 10 point in Henry County (north central).

While the western part ofKentucky has a good reputation (and well earned), your best chance at a trophy deer would be in north central part of the state (e.g.Spencer, Shelby, Henry, Owen, Pendleton, Harrison, Scott, andGrant Counties...for non-typical deer it is Lewis County).

Another choice spot (but witha more restrictive application process) is the Fort Knox military base. I have seennumerous 150+ deer taken every year that I have hunted there.Even checked out with anofficer two years ago that harvested a huge 186+ typical 12 point withkickers on both G2s (G2s = 12 and 13 inches long; inside spread of 22 inches)...that deer was only 3.5 years old and weighed 105pounds.

All of that being said, any county in Kentucky could produce a monster whitetail.