HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Seeing any Poults??
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 06:51 AM
nmblackgold

Default RE: Seeing any Poults??

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

Unfortunately no. The landowner next to me told me today that he busted a hen off her nest last week. He had no idea she was there and said he will not go back and disturb her. She must have failed the first time. Predators are horrible on eggs and poults.I sure hope she is successful this go around. I need some new turkeysin myarea badly. I will have three two year old gobblers next season in the area. They came from the only hatch I had on my property last Spring. I sawthe three jakes a few times while hunting this Spring.Haven't heard anyone saying much about poults down here. It was just the opposite last year. They seemed to be everywhere.
Sorry to hear that superstrut, , wow, this really seems to run in cycles. What type of predators do you have......skunks, coons etc.?? I know in many cases, water is a limiting factor, probably not a concern where you hunt......swamps??

All the conditions here in New Mexico seem to be ideal, early Mt rains, and a invasion of locust should provide plenty of bugs for little ones. But next year could be a bust. We didn't see a single jake, we were overrun with 2 year olds (that was fun) and saw a few 3 year olds, but no jakes. So we need a good hatch this year to get back on track.We may not know until the deer/elk season what we have for a hatch....take car SS.