HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Revolver Hunting Capability????
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 10:07 AM
BigJ71
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Revolver Hunting Capability!!!!

ORIGINAL: jaw3

I thought 45 Colt brass was not as strong as .44 Rem Mag brass? Wouldn't that be a consideration for reloading?
This has been debunked by "those in the know". The 45Colt brass is plenty strong for +P+ loads as well as reloading. Like anything or any different type of brass, it's design will dictate how many times it can be reloaded and I'm sure some can be reloaded more than others. Perhaps the .44Mag brass can indeed be reloaded a time or two more than the.45 Colt but that would depend on many different factors such as the type of bullet used as wellas the pressure they are loaded to. It most certainly shouldn't be the determining factorfor buying the gun.

.45 LC for elk at 50 yards is okay...but a .223 on deer isn't...
jeepkid,

The .45 Colt loaded up to +Pvelocities will equal and in some cases exceed the heavy loads in .44Mag and do it with less pressure.

For instance, I have in front of me as I type this3 boxes of Hunting ammo,1 .44 mag and 2 .45Colt. Look for yourself and tell me the .45Colt isn't enough for an elk or even a brown bear for that matter.

Grizzly Cartridge Company .44Mag +P: 300gr. WFNGC @ 1325fps

Corbon Ammunition: .45Colt +P: 300gr JSP @ 1300fps
Buffalo Bore Ammo .45Colt +P 325gr LFN @ 1325fps

As you can plainly see in this instance the +P .45Colt actually exceeds the .44mag and as mentioned at less pressure which translates to less felt recoil. I would carry a .44Mag stuffed with a 300gr bullet at 1300fps in a heart beat anywhere in North America, brown bear country included and never feel under gunned. Like wise I'd carry my Ruger .45Colt stoked with the same type of load and never once feel like I don't have enough gun with me.

If it will take down a Griz, it will dispatch a Moose, Elk, or any other North American game you so choose to hunt. Keep the yardage the same as you would the .44mag and have at it!