HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - shooting issues
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 02:01 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shooting issues

You know another thing I find disturbing about this whole thing, is not just that shooting over a public roadway is a stupid idea that displays a distinct lack of judgement. And it's not the fact that I think he's lying about the distance of the shot given the bullet used and the scope adjustment stated (once a spitzer bullet goes sub-sonic, it destabilizes and accuracy disappears). What bothers me more than all that is that it would seem that he's using live animals literally for target practice when he obviously doesn't know what he's doing. He said he needed 9 (NINE) shots to finally kill the one hog. Basically he took nine pot-shots at a live animal hoping to finally connect. This strikes me as the epitomy of slob hunting. The odds of wounding an animal are astounding, and the fact that he finally (after NINE SHOTS) got lucky and connected with a solid hit is just that, nothing but luck. IMO, a truly responsible hunter would be SURE of his rifle, load, trajectory and wind call and confident in his ability to make a clean kill before he'd EVER attempt such a shot... let alone 9 of them. Ridge Runner caught a lot of flack for his 1350 yard shot on a deer, but the fact is that he know PRECISELY what his rifle will do, and as I recall he did fire a spotter to verify his dope, but he shot it at a rock, not at the animal. That's responsible long range hunting. Just blasting rounds down range until you connect is an example of the worst type of slob hunter and gives other hunters a very bad name.

Mike