HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2009 pricing for reloading .30-06
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Powerfisher
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2009 pricing for reloading .30-06

We are kinda in the same boat. I just up graded my ancient Savage 110 E to a NIB Remington 700 in a 30.06
I just recently (8 months ago)started to reload and I am stoked. I bought the Lee Breech Lock Challenger Reload kit. A couple of the accesories are sub par but for the most part, I like it. Its a single stage press. The whole kit cost about $120.00 with tax. I got it at Cabelas. It comes with a powder measure (barely adequate), hand primer w/shell holders (sub par), case lube, powder trickler, and a few more odds and ends. It does have allthe basic tools needed to get started. (except, powder, primers, cases and bullets.) The only thing that was disappointing was the hand primer. It broke after only 40 primers. Right now its hard to find a lot of the components needed for reloading. Primers are basily non-existant. Powder is hard to find as well as bullets and cases but it is out there you just have to find a way to get them. I go to the local gun shows, stake a claim at 0400 and load up my wagon. By loading your own, there are many benefits. Accuracy is definatly one of them. My first 30.06 rounds were more consistant than any factory load, premium or otherwise. Cost is another. By reloading you will drop the cost of most ammo. Once you get in the smaller rounds, the margin is not that much but it is still an improvement. I did the same thing when I started to flyfish. I dumped a ton of cash on all the fly tying gear and that was 9 years ago and I havent bought a fly since. The same goes with reloading. Have fun!