HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - time for stands?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: time for stands?

My $.02.

Down this way, early archery season success is usually associated with locating oak trees, especially White Oaks or Post Oaks or Chestnut Oaks that are loaded. I already have several 16' and 20' ladder stands out in areas of oaks that traditionally produce. However, some years this or that area is pretty much barren, while in others you need a hard hat to survive a windy morning.

I keep 5-6 ladders or Lock-On type stands in "reserve" and place these as the season nears (Oct. 15) based upon where I have found oaks loaded up. I try to get my scouting and setting of these stands done no later than September 21 or so. In addition I have 3 climbers that I place and very often move from place to place as the season goes along, and as fresh "sign" is found. Many, many times I am not set-up any earlier than 1 hour before daybreak, or 2:00 - 3:00 p.m. in the case of an afternoon hunt. If you can ease in with a climber, leaving a minimum scent trail, and not make a ton of noise setting up, there is nothing at all wrong in my book of "short-lead" set-ups. There have been times when I have moved my climber 3-4 times in the same 200' square area during a 4-10 hour hunt in order to cope with shifting winds. I have had zero success at times moving this often, and other times it has worked out perfectly. Lot of luck involved for sure.