HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - looks like i'll be poaching in iowa this year
Old 06-12-2009, 05:46 PM
racksnbeards
Fork Horn

Default RE: looks like i'll be poaching in iowa this year

ORIGINAL: midwestxpress

Iowa is only hurting their own. My buddy runs a small operation and has numerous people cancelling their hunts. They picked a bad time to up license fees with the economy and all. When my group goes out to Iowa, we dump alot of money into the local economy. Walmart, food joints, hotels, carwash, grocery stores, sportshops, fuel. Whats funny is they raised the licenses midstream, I paid less the first week of May, than my buddy paid the last week they were onsale. This could be our last year, unless I become a resident for 30 consecutive days before Nov.1 ! I have a problem with Nicks comments also, but I no longer entertain that kind of b.s. There are jackasses everywhere Nick. In my state and yours.
Sorry midwwest, as of July 1st it becomes 90 days.

Taken from the IDNR site:

DES MOINES - Beginning July 1, the minimum requirement to claim Iowa as a state of residence will increase from 30 consecutive days where Iowa is the principle and primary residence, to 90 consecutive days, before someone may purchase a resident hunting, fishing or trapping privilege.
The new residency requirements were approved during the 2009 legislative session and signed by Iowa Governor Chet Culver. It becomes effective July 1.

The new residency rule also specifically excludes people from claiming residency for a special or temporary purpose which includes engaging in hunting, fishing or trapping.

Owning land in Iowa, having an Iowa driver's license or registering a vehicle or to vote does not mean a person is an Iowa resident.