HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Homemade Mineral Recipes
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Homemade Mineral Recipes

Decades ago, we found some info put out by Texas A&M. LSU, Auburn, Miss. St. and Penn State covering the subject of supplemental minerals for game.All more or less said the same thing.Salt (Sodium Chloride- NaCl) is an excellent attractant. However, the benefit is minimal. Adding asupplement that contains 15% or more of calcium and/or dicalcium phosphate provides the deer with useful minerals needed for building a healthy body and assistsdoes with calcium loss whilefeeding fawns.There was also some evidence that these minerals also enhanced antler mass.

Granulated salt (often called "Mixing Salt", Trace Mineral salt (also commonly referred to around here as "Red Salt"), dicalcium phopate and high calcium "dairy mix" should all be available at any decent seed/feed store.Down this way, the salt mixes cost about $6.50/50#. Di-cal will run aobut $22/50#. Dairy minerals about $16/50#. We have a hard toime getting the dairy mix and usually settle for a combo of mixing salt or red salt + dical. We mix about 1-1.

You can dig a hole and pour it in, or simple pour out on the bare ground our on top of a rottening stump, or put the mix is a small trough. The deer will find it and hit it all summer and fall.

I don't have access to my buddy's trail camera photos, but he has dozens and dozens this spring/summer showing deer bombing licks, along with a few coyotes and 2-3 foxes licking the stuff ... and one of a racoonsitting on his rump munching on a dried up clump of this mix that I guess had formed after a rain.No way to know for sure if it is the same guy, but about everyweek or so, there are shots ofa coon munching away on a clump of salt at this same lick area.