HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Optics for a Rimfire
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 04:20 PM
liberty1743
Spike

Default Optics for a Rimfire

I am looking to scope my left-hand Savage Mark II BTVS. For those not familiar with it, it's a heavy barreled stainless .22LR with a laminate thumbhole stock. I had a no name 3-9x40 scopes which was rather large and heavy. Although I want to hunt with it, I will be using it more to have fun with at the range. Although I'd really love to have a Leupold VX-II 3-9x33 Rimfire EFR, I can't afford to drop $400 on a scope. Because I'm going to be using it at the range, I think going with a variable over a fixed scope is ideal. I also want it to look good, as it's a pretty nice piece. Does anyone have any recommendations? I know rimfire scopes need to be parallax-free at about 50-60 yards (rather than 100 yards for a typical centerfire scope), and Nikon, for example, only has a fixed 4x rimfire scope.Weaver has aclassic 3-9x32 rimfire scopefor about $200, but I heard their optics are only “okay”. To make my decision even tougher, I'd prefer a nice sliver finish for a change of pace (though it's not a deal breaker). I'd also like to adjust for wind and have reliable MOA adjustments. Any suggestions?