HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Trophy Whitetail State? 170"+
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Teach Deer
Fork Horn

Default RE: Best Trophy Whitetail State? 170"+

If you are wanting to hunt a trophy whitetail, then the state is Kentucky. Come to KY, drop by a Walmart close to where you decide to hunt and pay about $150 non-resident, and go hunting...the archery season lasts from the first Saturday in September through the third Saturday in January...the modern firearm (read as nearly anything you want to hunt with including rifles...no shotgun limitations) lasts three weeks right in the heart of the rut (second Saturday in November and closes on Sunday three weeks later)...

One buck limit though, so choose wisely!

Some public land offers trophy potential as well...Peabody Coal in Mulenburg and Ohio counties, and of course, the Fort Knox military reservation. I also know of a Wildlife Management Area that I hunt, where I have seen a 190+ (I estimated 200+ inches) typical 12 point (but could not shoot it) and just missed a huge 165+ class typical 10 pt. Both deer in a small 5 acre woodlot on a 5000 acre tract.

None of the other big buck states offer you a chance to hunt monster bucks with a rifle during the rut...