HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to Forum and State of North Carolina
Old 06-06-2009, 11:05 AM
rustynobles
Fork Horn

Default RE: New to Forum and State of North Carolina

hey mbonanno090 welcome to NC. If you can find some private land here to hunt without paying an arm and a leg then you will be doing good. My advice for the first season which is only a couple months away is try out some of the gamelands that the state has to offer around raleigh area. I have seen some pretty nice deer come from that area. But then again anywhere up in the piedmont of NC there area plenty of nice bucks. Good luck and hope you enjoy NC.
ORIGINAL: gamewarden1

hey mbonanno090 welcome to NC. If you can find some private land here to hunt without paying an arm and a leg then you will be doing good. My advice for the first season which is only a couple months away is try out some of the gamelands that the state has to offer around raleigh area. I have seen some pretty nice deer come from that area. But then again anywhere up in the piedmont of NC there area plenty of nice bucks. Good luck and hope you enjoy NC.
x2, and he's right about the gamelands. most of them can produce, but you'll have to be patient and learn them. i hunt mainly in the coastal plain region of the state, and i hunt a certain military establishment that i am an employee of. i'm sure you'll have an enjoyable time as long as you're not expecting to see any b&c deer around. you can purchase a gamelands map from http://www.ncwildlife.org
that should give you a good start. i'd wear an orange vest in addition to the mandatory hat though. some of the gamelands can get a little crowded especially with people not willing to stray too far from the road.