HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pellet Gun Question?!?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 11:43 AM
skb2706
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pellet Gun Question?!?

I'm no spring piston pellet gun expert but I have done some serious background on them in the last couple of years. I have a very similar model rated at exactly the same speeds using the same pellets. Some conclusions about them -

1. spring piston pellet rifles don't really fit in deer forums

2. shoot one thru a chrono, unless you are using those PBA pellets you won't even get close to 1200 fps

3. pellet weight is critical to pellet gun efficiency, you have to match pellets with rifle...ie powerful rifles require heavier pellets, lighter rifles, lighter pellets. If you shoot very light pellets in a powerful rifle you will damage the spring assembly of the spring piston, it slams the stops too hard. Never ever dry fire your rifle, not even once. worse thing you can do to one.

4. I know those pellets come with the gun but Gamo doesn't really care how fast you wear out the piston assembly. Your rifle requires pellets weighting at least 8 gr. for max life.

5. forget the sonic crack, with 8 gr. pellets your rifle will do around 900 fps....tops. I shoot mine thru a chrony all the time.

6. never leave the gun cocked, if you change your mind on a shot, fire a pellet into something that will safely stop it

7. Best upgrade for your pellet rifle is a GRTII trigger replacement. Costs $32 and takes five minutes to install. It will make a much better shooter out of your gun by removing the take up and giving you a clean break trigger more like a centerfire rifle.

8. If you want a great site to go to about these guns charliedatuna.com guy knows more about spring piston guns than he should.

9. Never clean a pellet rifle unless you know exactly what you are doing. The bore is not chrome moly on most of them and even the slightest touch of a cleaning rod can harm it. Better to never clean than incorrectly clean.