HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - flash scare deer???
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Siman08/OH
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: flash scare deer???

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

If there was a camera in your house and it flashed or made noise when taking a picture, would you be alarmed?
I know I'm not a deer, but if you keep "survival" in the back of your mind, it might help make certain decision's while hunting this prey!

Some deer may tolerate it, however if your getting multiple pictures of the same buck, I would guess either he's stupid (which could be good for us hunters)
or
extremely wary as he walks through this same area where you have your camera.
He is most likely relying on his sight / nose for danger, to put himself in front of that yummy mineral block or corn that he can't resist as your camera takes his picture.
If the camera location is kept relatively scent free he wouldn't mind walking into the lens for a free meal!!!

All the pictures I've gotten of bucks is a one time only scenario. I watched a bucks track (in snow) skirt a hill by 30-40 yards just to avoid the trail I had my camera on.
Scaring 1 deer is too many for me.
So I typically put the camera out on a trail 100-200 yards from my tree stand, so this way he doesn't avoid my tree stand location due to the camera.

I also stop using cameras in my hunting spots by the end of July, no need to dissipate any extra scent close to the hunting season opener.
If I find a new spot during the season I might throw a camera out to see what kind of head gear he has on, but won't get my hopes too high for that season.
Although, I may use my antlerless tag as I sit and observe after a few attempts.
You bring up some good points, BUT, comparing deer reactions to human reactions isn't accurate. Of course WE would freak out, but its different to a deer. They are not thinking "robber in my house...holy #$%!". They probably don't even associate them with humans.

And, think about the deer in my area for instance. I have had cameras in the woods flashing for 7 years. They deer get pics of them taken from fawn up to 5.5 years old, they grow very accustomed to it, kinda like 2nd nature. Now in new areas, it would be different.