HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - OT whats your hunting camp set up
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 12:33 PM
dmurphy317
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OT whats your hunting camp set up

Hunting here in NM means lots of public land but all part of the state draw. Most of my hunting has been in unit 15 and has involved a family size dome tent (once a freind let me borrow his camper and a couple of times hunted with another friend that has a camper). The weather can be anywhere from warm and sunnyto below 0 and snowing. The first elk hunt i went on it snowed 18 to 24 inches the first 24 hours, we had to get up every hour or so and knock the snow off the roof of the tent to keep it from crushing down on us. At night it was getting down to -10 or less so even with sleeping bags (20 degree) and wool blankets we were cold. I ended up putting my coleman lantern in the tent to help us stay warm (that made it tough to sleep thoughwith the light on). After that trip I bought a nice heavy duty canvas bag with flannel linning that I can stay warm in down to lower than I want to tent camp in.

For the rest of my camp I have a collapsable alluminum table for the camp stove, a 20lb propane tank next to the table with a propane treethat I put a lantern on top of and a hose to my stove so I don't have to use the small 1lb canisters. I have the usual folding camp chairs and some cast iron dutch ovens of various sizes. I do use air matresses under the sleeping bags for some extra comfort (the ground seems harder now that I'm over 40). I also carry extra tarps for wind breaks or tent covers or whatever. I also have a porta-loo just in case (6 gallon bucket with a snap on toilet seat).

I do want to upgrade to a camper someday but I hate the thought of paying for it, then again, I'm getting older and it seems to be getting colder out there, despite so called global warming.