HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Choke question?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Hurricanespg
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Choke question?

ORIGINAL: fatsbucknut

Long story short. I have a Browning BPS 10 gauge. Beautiful gun but i'm not impressed with the patterns i'm getting now with the factory full choke (.740 constriction) shooting lead 3 1/2" 4 shot. 50yards i only had 5 BB's in the head and neck region. I'm not sure which would better fit my needs, a factory extra full choke(.730 constriction) or a primos jelly head(.695). How much tighter will the pattern be with the jelly head versus the extra full? I would like to be confident in the killing power at 55-60yds but i dont want it to be too tight for those 30yd and less shots. Maybe i'm asking for too much. Any info is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Zach
If you want patterns at 55-60 yards you are going to have to shoot something with more pellets in it than #4 shot.
Since you have a 10ga your options are a little more limited, but you should do fairly well with Hevi-13 #5's. If you really want a great pattern get Nitro's hevi straight #7's.
The ammo you shoot will be more important than the choke, but you wont be heading in the wrong direction if you get a Pure Gold in either .690 or .710