HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ??? on soybeans
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 07:35 PM
haystack
Typical Buck

Default RE: ??? on soybeans

Dave, I prefer the no-till method, but planting in tilled ground works well also. Broadcast, I sow around 70lbs per acre for food plots. They can be planted 1 to 2" deep. I have sowed, then lightly disked and had real good luck. I have also sowed on tilled ground and just rode over them with a tractor (atv will work) and just pushed them down in the soil, its best to do this right before a good rain. Birds might decide to eat them if they are visible, but they will sprout and grow in wet soil.

As far as which kind is best, I like the Round-up Ready/RR because it is so much easier to control weeds. This year I'm planting the bush type or grain beans. But there is a gentleman on this forum selling the forage type soybeans that I hear a lot of possitives about. I would have tried some this year, but I had already purchased seed.

Which ever you decide, its best to use an inoculate on the seed right before planting. And I have gotten by with out any fertilize applied also, although some would be best.

One other thing, they may not work to well if your plot is small and your deer density is high. They will eat them off as fast as they come up!!