Old 05-18-2009, 06:34 AM
spaniel
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: smokless in a pro hunter

ORIGINAL: Screwbolts

ORIGINAL: spaniel

ORIGINAL: nysmoker

Spaniel

Is your remington a 50 caliber or 54? Did they ever make a conversion kit too the 209 for the remington700?
I'm talking about converting a Rem700 short action into a smokeless ML, which is already a proven concept....NOT a 700ML into a smokeless ML. A 700 and a 700ML are NOT the same platform, as has already been pointed out. The 700 is a centerfire action designed to take the pressures of powerful smokeless magnums and threads barrels with similar strength. The 700ML is a 700 in name only, it is not the same action, but rather another company's ML stamped with Remington's name for marketing purposes. Like the Genesis, Remington has never manufactured the MLs stamped with the Remington name.
Hi Spaniel,

Remington did indeed make the 700ML at the Ilion NY plant. I live 20 miles from the plant and do know for a fact that the 700ML was made in Ilion NY. The 700 ML action does share the same thread and recoil lug as the CF 700 action, like a savage ML10II the 700ML has no provisions for recoil lugs, this is how they got it classified as a non form 4473 Muzzle loader. ( it cant be fit with a CF barrel and work) the external dimensions of the action I believe are the same as your SA 700, the trigger is even the same. The bolt is basically the same rear portion but it was modified to hit and light #11 caps, no front lugs and is shorter. Almost like an internal plunger type bolt Large firing pin, lots of blow back into the bolt to require disassemble and cleaning.

Here is a link to the Final Rm 700ML owners Manual:http://www.remington.com/pdfs/om/om_700ml.pdf

You are correct in every way that the Genisus is not made by the Big Green,

Eliphalet Remington the founder of Remington Arms, was in fact a muzzle loader rifle manufacturer, Black Smith, in Ilion NY, many moons before we were ever thought of . The name Remington was put on many original Muzzle loaders made by the hands of Eliphalet, and his apprentices.
Apparently a usually good source was not. That's what you get for believing the internet. I stand corrected, thanks.