HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - COMING SOON, Elk hunting in Wisconsin!
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 07:15 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: COMING SOON, Elk hunting in Wisconsin!

I've watched the Clam Lake herd grow from when they were first planted. Every year the paper would tell how many young were born, I remember when the herd was very very small. We would see the elk sometimes on snowmobile trails when out riding (and they do not move for you, you move for them).

Also I watched the wolf numbers skyrocket. All the time the wolf numbers increased, the DNR always played it down. Now they are everywhere. Go for a walk in the woods and all you see is wolf tracks. They also told us at a meeting that the wolf packs had little impact on the deer herd numbers. That was the reason for all the doe tags. Well now they have plenty of wolves, and no deer in the area. So I guess the wolves will have to eat them precious elk.

The bear population has really declined in my area. I used to see several bear on average in and around my house.One year I had two bear that visited my berry patch every day until they ate every single berry. Now I see NONE. While that's OK with me, I do kind of miss seeing them. They are a magnificent creature to see in the woods.

There is also supposed to be a small herd of elk north of 77 near Clam Lake, back in the Chequamegon. Its a small group I guess, but the bull is something to see I was told.

I kind of hope they do have a season someday. It will be something we will talk about for years, that elk are hunted in Wisconsin again. The DNR sure has watched that herd over the years. They even posted signs in one area that warned of Lyme Deer Tick study area. There is asmall herd back there. As for the ticks, they are every where.