HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - need some help with my recurve
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2003, 10:06 AM
Brian_L

Default RE: need some help with my recurve

Outdoorsman:

At this stage in the game I wouldn' t concern yourself with aiming. What you need to do first is spend a lot of time close to your target butt, under 10 yards. From there you need to develop a solid foundation of good form. If it' s possible, find an experienced traditional archer in your area to help you with the basics.

When you' ve developed some consistent form you can then decide what type of aiming method you intend to use. There' s a couple different avenues you can take and obviously each has their own school of thought and there' s variations of each one. Instinctive Shooting; basically, you only focus on what you want to hit and don' t incorporate any reference point into your sight window to align with the target. Gap Shooting; You align the point of your arrow either above, below, or " point on" the target depending on your distance from the target. Sights; I' m sure you know what this entails. While you don' t generally see many shooting with sights in traditional archery, it' s still a personal preference. As I said, there' s also slight variations from each technique such as indirect aiming (essentially gap shooting), string walking (really unadvisable for hunting situations), and sighting down the shaft.

Like I said, don' t concern yourself with aiming or hitting you mark right now. Concentrate on the basics and develop your form. After that, you' ll have to decide which method suits your needs the best. For the record, your signature does not show up! Good luck.