HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - accuracy vs inexpensive ammo
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Todd1700
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: accuracy vs inexpensive ammo

Here's my 2 cents.

First, for whitetails you do not need premium bullets. I have killed a duel wheel dump truck load of them in my lifetime with basic Remington cor-lokts and Winchester power points. Simple lead tipped cup and core bullets are as lethal on whitetails as anything out there. In factI think a lot of people are using bullets too toughly constructed for deer. Going on a Moose or Elk hunt? Fine buy some trophy bonded bearclaws. But for deer such bullets are not needed.

Second, there is no gurarantee that more expensive ammo will shoot more accurately in your gun. Each rifle, even of the same brand, caliber, and type, can be very different in what they like. They might shoot the premium stuff better but they are just as likely to group well with simple core-lokts or power points.That being the caseI would sure as heck start with the cheaper stuff first to see ifI could get acceptable accuracy before I moved on to the really expensive stuff. Since your goal is 2 inch groups at 100 yards (a very realistic and practical goal by the way) I'm betting that eithercor-lokts, power points or the blue box federal stuff will meet or exceed your expectations.