HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - [Deleted]
Thread: [Deleted]
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2003, 09:06 AM
t-roy
Fork Horn

Default RE: Beginner Pheasant Dog?

since you are 13, you should decide which you want, a flusher or a pointer, then look into what would be the easiest to train. if you want a pointer, i would definately say go with a brit. they aren' t as hard headed as a GSP and are more devoted to their owners. not saying anything bad about GSP' s, they are great hunting dogs, just not the best for a kid starting out to get their feet wet with. if you want a flusher, you could go with alot of dogs. my first few bird dogs were rat terriers. they would hunt anything, they just had to figure out what we were after that day. i had an uncle who used a poodle, with good results. but as a traditiona bird dog, got with a spaniel, or a lab. i would say the lab, because spaniels will require you to brush the burrs out of their coats after the hunt. that is a job that i hate to do after hunting all day, and cleaning birds.
the main thing you want is a dog to stay close and work with you. if you get one, play with it, get it to know its name, and come to you when you call it. from there you just take it where the birds are and it will learn every time out