HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - COMING SOON, Elk hunting in Wisconsin!
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 02:43 PM
wack
Fork Horn

Default RE: COMING SOON, Elk hunting in Wisconsin!

I believe Mich is another state that would like to supplement there elk herd and are being held back for the same reason's WI. and Tenn. are. CWD and concerns about transporting diseased animals. Wisconsin's first 25 elk came from Mich. and the plan was to get more from Mich. in 2002. The chances of getting CWD infected elk from Mich is much higher than getting elk from Elk Island Nation Park, which is why WI decided to scrap the 2002 plan and look else where.

The new live CWD test, and advances in research should help loose the noose on transporting elk for all states wanting to bring new genetics and numbers to there elk herds. Remember, Mich. started out with only 7 elk. The odds that 7 elk has gotten Mich. and WI started is quite remarkable. I don't know much about Mich. but I would assume that more will be done to up the odds of drawing tags once transportation bans are lifted and CWD research starts paying off. Hang in there, I think things will get better for the whole Great Lakes Region in the near future.