HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Kids first gun
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2003, 06:42 AM
Noleball
Spike

Default RE: Kids first gun

I got my first BB gun at 8 followed by a .410 bolt action at 10. I was not allowed to have a high-powered rifle for awhile and was relugated to using a 20guage and sloge until i was 13 or so and then I received an old 30-30 bolt action for deer hunting.

My brother and I are trying to determine what do do with my nephew (sister' s kid) at this time as well. He is 7 but is extremely well-behaved and mature and we think he is about ready for a small shotgun. He can already shoot a .22 as well as many adults while we are target shooting and he is very well versed in gun safety so far.

We may be getting him a .410 before squirrel season this year and take him out to see how he does.

I don' t see that there is a " set" age for kids and guns. I have seen seven year olds that would be good with one such as my nephew and I have hunted with 50 year olds that should not be allowed to own a weapon. Each case is unique and you have to judge it on your own. But it does sound like the elven year old is ready for one.