HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 280 remington
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 280 remington

Initially thecartridge was named the 7 mm. Remington Express or somethinglike that. The main "competition" at the time was with the very popular 270 Win.Because sales of the 7 mm Remington Express were very sluggish from the get-go, Remington changed the cartridge name to the "280 Remington". The marketing ploy was to give the hunters the idea thatthe cartridge was "bigger" than the 270 Winchester. Not much truth in that and the idea didn't work. Sales never have been very good.

That is a shame because it is a great idea for a cartridge. In the hands of an accomplished hand loader, the 280 Rem. is about as versitlie as most 7 mm rounds. As mentioned, you can still find listings ofrifles that are chambered for the 280 Rem. Just don't expect to walk into any old gunshop and see a selectionfrom 2-3 makerssitting on the sales rack.Frankly of all the hunters I have come across over the past 47 years, I know of only one that uses the 280 Rem.In my view that explains it all.Good hunting round ... not popular.