HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cutting Down trees
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 07:53 AM
outdoorsman4life_103
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cutting Down trees

I agree, wintere is the best time to do most of your cutting. like you, we had a mature stand of oaks, but many of them were suffering from oak wilt. These trees were GIGANTIC. I mean, a few hundred years old and we cut them and left them lay. we are not as concerned with money as we are with the deer cover.. It also will break down slowly and provide lots of cover for small game.. I'm not sure how you cut your trees, but this is how we do it-- first, try to look and cut the tree in the natural way the tree is leaning so it soesnt fight you the whole way.. then, cut on a slight diagonal downwards in the direction you plan to drop the tree, (make sure to try and find a pathway that will offer the least hang up in the tree's canopy because that is a very dangerous situation) then make a horizontal cut going from the outside of tree and meet with the bottom of your diagonal cut, (a wedge should come out of the tree) then come from the back side of the tree and cut horizontally and eventually meet up with your wedge.. I found this is the best way to drop mature trees.. hope this helps..