HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 06:51 AM
SWThomas
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

ORIGINAL: Bernie P.

You're right about the 50 but the critter will be just as dead with a smaller round.I know several friends that never wear camo when hunting anything including turkeys and they always fill their turkey tags.To a point compounds are technically more advanced than trad bows but they still only throw the arrow.Faster yes in many cases but I've never come across one that shoots as quiet as my recurve let alone my longbow which is near silent.Accuracy is entirely dependent on the shooter.Howard Hill could at will "Robin Hood" an arrow.In fact he did all the shooting for the orginal RH film.Howard,Ron Leclair,John Shultz,etc shoot dimes thrown in the air.Hill nailed ten in a row once.Try to do that with precision sights some time.HIll,Fred Bear,Ben Pearson all took animals well over 100yds in their time shooting bare bow.Not to shabby for a stick'n string !
While it is true you can "kill" large animals with smaller rounds, they won't dispatch the animal as quick. I want my animals dead where they stand so I don't have to trail them or possibly lose them.

I could kill turkeys in my underwear if I were shooting them with rifles or from a blind. But if you're calling them into close proximity, you need concealment.

And as for shooting dimes and Robin Hooding arrows...... That's great, if you like exibitions. I would rather employ the technology availbale to me in every effort to make as ethical a kill as possible. Traditional people are cool with me, I just like to evolve with the times. And people like Tred Barta who consistantly make horrible shots on animals with a traditional bow make me sick to my stomach.