HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - One last dumb question about case trimmers...
Old 05-07-2009, 04:33 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: One last dumb question about case trimmers...

I've used the Lee trimmers with good results, but I also have a Forster trimmer that I use too. The advantage of the Lee trimmer is that you get comsistant lengths without setup hassles. They are great for small batches and make touch-up trimming very easy without having to try to resetup the Forster to get the same length as before. The drawback is that the Lee trimmers don't provide any flexibility in trim length, and they index from the inside of the case at the opening of the flashhole. I found that I got great results only when I had uniformly deburred the flashholes before trimming. If the flashholes were not deburred, the trimmer can index on any burr that may exist around the flashhole and give longer than desired results. The Forster (and similar trimmers) index off the base of the case, making the case length consistant once the trimmer is set for the desired length. Another drawback to the Lee trimmer is that it requires separate pilots specific to each cartridge because the pilot both centers/squares the neck and controls length rather than the caliber specific interchangable pilots common to other trimmers. If you load only popular and common cartridges (like the .30-06 family, .308 Win family, 7mm Rem Mag etc...), then you won't have a problem using Lee trimmers as the are readily available. If you load less common cartridges (like the 257 Wby Mag, for example), the trimmer pilot is not available so I must use my Forster for which I have the full set of shell holder collets and pilots.

Mike