HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - de-bunking the myths
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 05:23 PM
m.t.hands
Giant Nontypical

Default de-bunking the myths

saw this on another post/site and i thought i'd share with ya'll. first time i've seen it and i practice this stuff all the time, good stuff

I wrote this a year or two ago just kind of as a personal motivation piece. I have not fished tournaments near as long as a lot of guys in this area but I try to hold my own and I have had ups and downs but I'm still hanging in there and getting better. Here are my observations:
1. NOTHING beats time on the water, period!
2. Yesterday was just that, YESTERDAY. Today will hold a new set of challenges in finding and catching fish. When they change, you need to change.
3. The harder you work, the more success you will have. There are no shortcuts or magic baits.
4. Do not blame equipment, weather, other boats and anglers, etc. Just fish hard and stay at it when it gets tough. Success will come one cast at a time. Do not allow excuses to exist in your boat. Take ownership of your mistakes and learn from them.
5. If its too cold. too hot, too windy, too rainy and even if you are too tired go fishing anyway. You can bet your competition is out there.
6. Don't be afraid to take chances, learn to listen to that little voice in your head and follow your instincts.
7. Don't be afraid to try new techniques. Its only new until you catch a fish doing it and gets easier with every cast.
8. Don't worry about what the rest of the anglers are catching or how they are catching fish. Worry about getting your limit your way.
9. The hardest fish in a limit are the first and the fifth fish. Always is and always will be.
10. You will lose baits, break rods, and tear up equipment. Get over it.
11. Even the best anglers only win 5-10% of the tournaments they enter.
12. Fish hard but don't forget and enjoy yourself along the way. When it ain't fun anymore simply stop.
13. There is a reason why the same guys finish in the Top 10 week after week. Its called HARD WORK.
14. Whatever your favorite bait, rod&reel, hat etc is always have a spare. Better yet try and carry two of everything. From tackle to measuring boards you are gonna lose them.
15. You will encounter jerks on the water and at weigh ins. Kill' em with kindness and a smile. There is kharma in bass fishing. it all equals out in the end out there on the water.
16. Fish hard from start to finish. Countless tournaments are won in the last few minutes on a regular basis.
17. Surround yourself with anglers that are better than you and pick their brains, pay attention to their habits and don't have too much of an ego that will get in the way of learning something from someone. Jump at the chance to fish with anyone that you think is better than you and it probably will not hurt to fish with folks you think you are better than. None of us are as good as we think we are and no one is as bad as we think they are. You can learn something from anyone, even if its how NOT to do something.
18. If you want other anglers to stay off of the spots you are fishing then STOP fishing community water. Put the time in to find the spots on the spots and your own little honeyholes. Find your own water.
19. The best way to get over a missed bite or a lost fish is to simply make another cast.
20. Tune out folks who say NEVER and ALWAYS in relation to bass fishing. Neither word applies to the sport as the bass don't read the same books, watch the same TV shows or hear the same dock talk that we do. The bass have no clue they are ALWAYS supposed to be in an area and do not realize that they NEVER supposed to hit that bait at that time of year in that depth in that area.
Hopefully this list will help a person out there like it has me. I refer back to it quite a bit especially when I am going through a slump or not fishing well. Thanks