HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ram 1500
Thread: ram 1500
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 08:04 PM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ram 1500

he 2 of the BIG 3 looking at financial disasters, though I do place part of the blame on the executives as well, the
ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr
ORIGINAL: 1928you
if more Americans bought AMERICAN, you wouldn't be watching the 2 of the BIG 3 looking at financial disasters, though I do place part of the blame on the executives as well, the "BUY AMERICAN" theme is part of what has DESTROYED the AMERICAN economy. Sorry for the political bullet, but I feel THAT STRONGLY about it, and if more people did, this country would have been better off.

Sorry but I'm not going to buy some piece of crap just because "Americans" make it. In fact look at the stickers on a lot newerish so called "American" vehicles and you will see made in Mexico. I've had American vehicles as well as foreign vehicles as said. Every time the American vehicle is problematic. While the foreign cars have had some problems it's not been near as many as the "American" ones I've had. This has been about the experience of most of my friends and family as well. Most of them have gotten rid of their "American" vehicles and gotten Honda's or Toyota's and will comment on how much better build quality they seem to be. Like me most of them also run them forever, as in 150-300k miles. While a Honda or Toyota may give you a few problems as anything would in that mileage our experience is they give you a lot less problems. Most of the people I know that still own "American" vehicles are ones who trade theirs very often. As in every 2-3 years at most and want a new vehicle when the warranty runs out in which case it wont matter. I've always heard 5 years or 100k miles with an American vehicle and you will start having problems. That's about my experience.

I know a few people that own them and don't trade. One is my grandparents as that's just what they have owned. However, one of their cars is not and the car they say they plan to get next is a Toyota. The other is a guy that I'm friend with who has just grown up with "American" vehicles and while he even has a Honda it's a beat up Honda in bad shape and he just basically talks like you where he thinks nothing can ever be better than a American vehicle. There are some guys like that.

I'd have 0 problem with buying an American vehicle if they were just as good or better quality and reliability, had similar features for just as good of a price, and were as nice as the foreign cars. However, I've yet to find one that meets that critera. Maybe it's out there and I haven't tried it but I haven't seen it.

The only place I think American cars jump ahead is in the 3/4 and 1 ton truck markets as the foreign manufacturers don't have much to compete. I really like the new Tahoe's and Suburbans too but I'm just not sure I want another Chevy after my previous experiences.