HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ram 1500
Thread: ram 1500
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 06:07 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ram 1500

Notice I didn't mention an rice-burners, because I've never, nor will I ever own a foreign made car, and if more Americans bought AMERICAN, you wouldn't be watching the 2 of the BIG 3 looking at financial disasters, though I do place part of the blame on the executives as well, the "BUY AMERICAN" theme is part of what has DESTROYED the AMERICAN economy. Sorry for the political bullet, but I feel THAT STRONGLY about it, and if more people did, this country would have been better off.
If the big three would make better, longer lasting, more reliable vehicles, and if the UAW didn't have the companies by the short hairs preventing them from having the flexibility to manage their companies in a profitable and efficient manner, then we wouldn't be watching 2 of the Big 3 swirling around the toilet bowl waiting to get sucked down. Has anyone noticed that in all the hoopla about GM and Chrysler that Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, BMW and Mercedes are weathering this storm just fine? They all make a large portion of their cars right here in the USA. In fact, the Toyota Tundra is not only assembled in the US (in San Antonio, TX and Princeton, IN), but they also have the same domestic parts content as the Ford F150 (80%) and only slightly less than the Chevy Silverado 1500 (85%). So the way I see it, you're supporting the exact same number of American families regardless of the nameplate.

I guess I don't really understand why you'd want to tow half your trucks with you. Why is it necessary for everyone to have their truck with they if you're going to the beach? I'd say get the truck you want to drive and let your friends worry about their own trucks. What's stopping them from driving their own vehicles if you're going to drive yours? Are they not street legal?

If you feel you must spec your vehicle for the sake of your friends, and serious towing is a requirement, I'd strongly suggest getting the diesel version of whatever type of truck you choose. I'm not a huge fan of Dodge trucks, but the Cummins I6 Turbo Diesel is a very good motor. If you plan on towing a 5th wheel trailer I'd also defininitly recommend at lease a 3/4 ton chassis, and depending on the weight on the 5th wheel, dual drives as well. But now you're talking about a lot more money as well.

Mike