HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Iron sites with a scope
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 02:10 PM
bmumford
Spike

Default RE: Iron sites with a scope

ADV, interesting idea (using see through scope bases). Does the scope have to be raised higher off the action/barrel for those to work?

I'm new to shooting, so excuse my ignorance, but I have never tried looking through a an ocular on 3x and firing at something rapidly from a tree or while walking through thick brush.

The reason I mention that is because my sister has a black bear problem at her house. They've broken into her car (the one time she accidently left an unopened mustard container and a package of rolls she was bringing on vacation the next day). They go on her porch, they've cornered my nephews scaring the bejesus out of them until they called her on her cell phone and had their older brother come out with their dog; things like that. They also walk through her yard with cubs...and that's the real danger.

I know black bear are usually timid and nothing to worry about, but I'm going to be hunting on her property half way up a mountain. I may only be able to see a few feet in front of me in some places while I'm getting from point A to point B. I remember watching Bear Grylls walking through blackbear territory explaining that, although bear attacks aren't common, when they do happen, they usually happen to hunters. Not only that, but that the bears sneak up on you and actually hunt you (as opposed to brown bear which is just about protecting their young and a territorial thing).

Black bear have 7x the smell of a blood hound, they run 30 mph, and they climb trees faster than a human can run. Again, I know I probably have a better chance of being struck by lightening on my hunt, but I don’t want to tempt fate. Are iron sights easier/quicker to acquire a target than my 3.5-10x40 scope? The more I think about mounting the see through rings the more I’m interested in them. There has to be a reason why everyone isn’t using them though.