HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Browning X-Bolt JUNK!!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Frank in the Laurels
Fork Horn

Default RE: Browning X-Bolt JUNK!!!!

Well, I can't say much for the x-bolt but I have two older stainless stalkers that will easily do those at those distances and with full power hunting loads...did you do any barrel breakat all??? 80 shots plus without any cleaning or maintance would be more than enough to mess things up.. especially if it's a barrel that coppers alot.. I'd start this all over again, slow down, CLEAN CLEAN THE COPPER OUT, get yourself some good cleaners and start over...That twist should be more than enough to stabalize the weights you mentioned... I know of no good excuse for tumbling in this cartridge and these bullet weights. Retighten everything, stock screws, bases, mounts.. what about your rest... what about your own shooting ability, what about the quality of the scope... this is always an issue to some extent... it could be shifting around and it deoesn't matter who makes it.. there's alot of variables with this type of issue.. I'd buy some other brands of ammo, get a variety.. stay with one weight.. say around 140-150 and try them.. I still have no reason why these bullet would tumble, hopefully it's not a slow twist barrel by mistake.. Make sure you clean that copper out before you start over.. three and 4 inch groups out of a factory rifles is no easy task... lots of variable, wind, mirage, bullet style, trigger pull and weight... I wonder how many factory rifles made by anyone could shoot 5 bullets inside a 3 inch circle at 300 yards with a low powered 9X scope,.. I suspect not many... good luck and calm down and try another approach...