HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - for everyone still in high school
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 10:49 AM
OKbowhunter20

Default RE: for everyone still in high school

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

ORIGINAL: OKbowhunter20

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

80% of your school needs to learn what tobacco can do to your gums, teeth, throat, tongue and every other body organ.
We all have our vices. Kids are well aware of the dangers of tobacoo (and alcohol and drugs for that matter). Beating them over the head with the same old lines won't solve anything.
I disagree. They get "told" that it causes cancer and this and that, but they ALL have the attitude that "they are unique and it wont happen to them just like it didnt happen to their buddy/cousin/brother"....

Im not saying you can't have your vices,what i am saying isthat even if its only an "occasional" recreational habit, if you start using tobacco under the age of 18 then by the time your 30/40 your already going to start developing long term problems.
Tobacco CAN cause problems, true. Honestly though, the statistics are on your side. I could make a list of 100 people right now that smoke/dip, ages 14-95. I know ONE person who hos gotten cancer because of it. People are not naive, they are realistic. Obviously if you don't use tobacco you are at a lower risk (duh). But is tobacco a bad thing? Well, it is certainly not a good thing.

My point was, everyone knows the dangers involved. That's no secret. It is up to the individual person to make that choice for themselves. What I have a problem with is organizations that use scare tactics or the "shock factor" to try and keep people away from tobacco. Kinda like when they have a mother who's son was killed by a drunk driver speak at a high school right before prom. Also those Truth* commercials. I hate those things. They should simply explain the good AND bad benefits of tobacco (or alcohol) to students so they can realize for themselves that the good does not outweigh the bad and it is simply not worth it.

Also, chicks don't like guys who dip or smoke. And if they do...run.[:-]

And that is why America is great