HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Leupold for my first centerfire rifle
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leupold for my first centerfire rifle

Of the choices - Vari X-III. For hunting, other than very long range varmint hunting, I'd suggest something like a 1.5-6x40mm. Certainly no "higher" than 10X. If you want a bit better low light performance, and do not mind the additional height, a 3-9x50 mm would not be a bad choice. Another mentioned a Zeiss Conquest. I agree with his assessment. However, IMHO there is nothing at all wrong with a Leupold Vari-X III. The Conquest is certainly not in the performance class of the Zeiss VMV series, but neither is the price !!!

I like a heavy plex. Helps me get onto the target quicker than the thinner style plexes ... but whatever you like should work fine. I am not a fan of the ballistic-plex. They work fine, but are just too "busy" for me. Besides where I hunt I will probably never get a shot farther than 250 yards.

As for mounts - Leupold makes a good mount in the style of the old Redfield system. In fact it looks identical to me. Warne and Talley systems are fine as well.

As for finish ... any that is nonreflective. Flat black, brushed SS look ... should be fine.