HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Old deer stands.
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 02:44 PM
fastetti
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Old deer stands.

Uncle Matt, I think I hunt in the same neck of the woods of you if I remember from your posts before. This year I found an ancient deer stand completely by accident. I was hanging a deer we had shot near a path and spotted a couple extremly old rotten boards on the ground when I kicked up some leave. I didn't think much of it until I looked about 10 feet in the air and saw 6 large nails nailed into this tree which were only a few inches from being grown over. You could tell that they were steps for a stand that at sometime was in that tree. My climbing stand was actually coincidentally next to the tree from the walk out so I took out my video camera and videoed how far along treestands had come. I'll tell you what, it was a good stand location, I did see a few deer walk right by that stand on my way out of the woods a few days and I actually shot my buck this year about 200 yards from that stand. Im a history buff so just to think of what life was like when someone was sitting in that stand when they built it just gets my imagination going.