HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Old deer stands.
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 06:02 PM
rustynobles
Fork Horn

Default RE: Old deer stands.

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

Years ago when I was younger and my Dad took me Deer Hunting I walked way back along an old path through the woods where I found a very old stand up in a large tree,I just had to climb up in it and look out to see the view some older Hunter had seen for many years....it was kinda heart warming to think of all the Deers he might have seen and shot over the years?Oh yeah...and I got in BIG trouble because he thought I was lost way out in the woods! [&:]

I also read an article that stated if you find a spot with an old Deer Stand on it that it could very well be an excellent spot to be placing a newer stand there or nearby because it could possiblybe a very good hunting area.
That part is true. A few years ago I came across one of these on our property, Lord knows how old it is, it's just the remnants of an old ladder someone nailed across a forked pine tree and stops about 8 feet up, but my dad and I hung a stand next to it, and I've seen some freakin monsters come out 30 yards from that spot, they've just grown accustomed to it. I got a really bad case of buck fever and missed a HUGE 8 pt. in that spot too. Man I'd love to relive that day again, but I'd say if you find one of these beauties, even if you just sit at the base of it, give her a try.