HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - It's a double! Or is it a triple?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Kojak248
Spike

Default It's a double! Or is it a triple?

Dad and I took my 13 and 10 year old daughters turkey hunting this weekend and of course, the weather turned cold and windy. We set up the blinds in the bottom of a draw near a commonly used roost site and waited. Due to the weather, the birds were pretty quiet. Around 11:30 a jake passed by our setup but never offered a shot.

Then around 12:15 I looked to the south and saw three jakes about 60 yards away. When my 10 year old saw the birds, she said, “Daddy, those turkeys are huge!” I did some soft calling and all three jakes came in at a half strut. When they were about 20 yards away, I told her that she could shoot whenever she was ready. She must have been because right after that she touched off her 20 gauge and the front two jakes dropped. My oldest daughter, who was in the other blind with my dad, then smoked the third jake, who took too long to make his get-away.

Both girls were extremely excited and all of us exchanged numerous hugs. My 10 year old was very, very proud of herself, as she got her first two turkey in one shot. Even her big sister was proud of her. (That’s amazing!) We definitely had a great time together.