HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 76 yr old turkey hunter killed by game warden
Old 04-24-2009, 05:17 AM
blackheel
Fork Horn

Default RE: 76 yr old turkey hunter killed by game warden

Here is what I don't get. Many say back out, it's trivial, get farther away, etc. So every time someone is suspected of a game violation they just point their gun at the warden and threaten them? This sounds like a situation where a blatant violation was occuring (in NC if you are sitting in a treestand turkey hunting over bait that is a blatant violation) and when approached the violator supposedly escallated the situation by pointing a weapon at the warden. Now once you threaten the life of any type of enforcement officier, no matter how petty you think the violation is, the original violation is not what is now the "major" violation, the threat is. I don't care if you are jaywalking, if you threaten the officer's life you are going to be charged for it and you aren't going to be allowed to walk home to be arrested later either. Also about backing out of range. Just because it appears to be a shotgun inan instant how is a warden to know what it is loaded with? #6 lead vs. a 12 gauge slug would have mighty different results when fired at a person. I have prayed for both sides knowing this is a bad deal for all. It is easy to Monday morning quarterback this situation but the biggest thing you must do is separate the 2 violations because the turkey bait didn't lead to the guy's death, supposedly pointing his shotgun at the warden did. Look at it this way, many fault the warden for going too far, what if the guy had just said OK you got me and just taken his ticket?