HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wolf Update
Thread: Wolf Update
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Elkcrazy8
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wolf Update

I am praying too for the best outcome. Though some areas that I know of seem to be doing fairly well with the presense of the wolves. I know of others where it has effected the very way of life of some. Accoding to flyovers of the Sawtooth zone in Idaho, areas that 10 years ago supported the spotting of over 1200 bulls, now are only producing only 150 bulls.

If I can remember correctly, in the Lolo zone there were 9 calves per 100 cows counted. I don't think that the 10j ruling alone will help bring back these elk herds. Fish and Game just does not have enough resources on the ground to handle this as they are strapped in this economy like the rest of us. The fee increase in which I and many supported is now stalled because of riders that some ding-a-ling attatched to the bill that authorized fee increases. Fish and Game is doing the best that they can with what they have. Approx 150 wolves were taken by the 10j ruling, but more is needed.

By stallingthe court process and welcoming a return to court by hunting organizations will only further the damage that may already be irrevesible. I say grab what management that we are authorized and go from there. If I can remember correctly, there were boundaries set during the initial recovery program. I think that north of I90, wolves were not protected. This may have had something to do with the endagered band of Caribou that lives in Idahos panhandle. If anyone can correct me on this please do so.....