HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I cant believe it...
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 04:26 PM
12GaugeGuy
Spike

Default I cant believe it...

I went to the range and shot my new hawken today. I loaded the rifle and fired and POP, the cap goes off but not the gun. A few caps later and it still dont fire. I pulled the ball and patch and cleaned the powder charge out. I noticed I was having a hard time cleaning the powder out so I put a patch over the small end of the rod and pushed it in to what I thought was a recess in the breech. I pushed it all the way down and "a little more" and when I pulled it out, on the end was a ball puller! I dropped the jag down the barrel and it made a odd thud sound. I put MY ball puller on and dropped that down and I turned and it grabbed on to something. I pulled out A SABOT!!! I guess what happened was the owner before me loaded the rifle and decided to unload it. When he went to pull the sabot out the ball puller popped off the cleaning rod. So in a nut shell the guy shipped me a loaded rifle!!!! Lucky for me the day I got it I put the breech end in the sink and pumped hot water through it and that black sooty stuff was gun powder. Unbelievable....

Other than that, I shot a round in the bullseye at 25 yards with 80 grains of pyrodex. Nice shooting rifle.